Not long ago, I wrote a post with some baseline strategies for running a successful playtesting session. I just got back from Protospiel 2015 in Chelsea Michigan (full conference write-up to come soon!) and had a few new observations for this helping to tune this process. Continue reading
Since last year’s Protospiel, a lot has changed for me, both with regards to the state of my prototype, as well as my level of contact within the board game designers’ community. So this year, trepidation and rookie mistakes were replaced with excitement to see some other designers (whom I know primarily online) in person and a clear sense of purpose.
Whereas before, I thought I was only a few small tweaks from a finished design, this time, I knew I had work to do. And my mission was to get some hard-hitting feedback in order to confirm things I knew, experiment with changes I had in mind, and get a few really workable suggestions in areas I was still scratching my head over.
This year, perhaps feeling a little guilty about having clear personal objectives, I wanted to make sure I paid it forward, so I tried out a few games before attempting to table Valour. I didn’t take great notes on several of the prototypes I played, so this is from memory, so a few may have slipped my mind. The highlights: Continue reading